Avery met with Jackie, the Occupational Therapist, for the first time yesterday. Jackie was there to evaluate Avery and see if she needed to work with her in the future. The Occupational Therapist works with fine motor skills like grasping, picking things up, and swallowing. Eventually these skills would lead to holding a pencil and cutting with scissors, etc. After the evaluation Jackie estimated Avery's fine motor skills to be equivalent to a 5 1/2 month-old. But she was most concerned with one section of the test that focuses on hand-eye coordination (I see a toy I want, how to I get it), where Avery only scored as a 2 month-old. We may have to see a neurologist if the MRI does not show any brain problems.
Jackie was also concerned with Avery's reflux. We may have to put her back on her medication to relieve the reflux. I was also thinking that maybe the reflux caused the pneumonia?
Obviously the evaluation resulted in Avery needing occupational therapy, so we will be seeing Jackie in two more weeks.
1 comment:
You will have a busy summer with Avery! She is very lucky to have you and Jimmy as her parents! Have a GREAT summer!
Pamela
Post a Comment