
Saturday morning Kinley and Jimmy got up early to go doctor and brand the cows and calves. It is pretty much a day long event. They catch the horses around 6:30 and then drive the cattle up from the meadow. They separate the steers, cows, bulls, and calves from each other. They send each group through the chutes one at a time to doctor, brand, tag, fly tag, or "de-bull". When they are finished, they stop for lunch and then drive them all back down to the meadow.
Once in awhile a calf will escape from the chute and they have to handle him ranch-hand style like the photo. I brought Avery over for a little while. She had just gotten her hearing aids and I wanted to see if she reacted to all of the noice. The cows are really loud when they are separated from the calves. She just watched them really closely.
1 comment:
Ahh the memories! What fun you have. Remember when Heidi and I came and participated? That was so much fun!!
Post a Comment